In the past couple of weeks we've gone over Vicair® technology, the Vicair® Active O2 cushion, and the Vicair® Adjuster O2 cushion. Today we are focusing on the Vicair® Vector O2 cushion. It is coded as Medicare code E2624/25 – Adjustable Skin Protection & Positioning cushion.
The Vector O2 has 9 adjustable compartments to provide skin protection and reduce pressure in the IT/coccyx area plus provide stability and positioning for pelvic and lower extremity alignment.
It is unique as it offers pressure redistribution through partial offloading due to its contoured shape as well as immersion and envelopment through the SmartCell air technology.
As well, due to the unique placement of the individual compartments, the Vector O2 offers excellent possibilities to accommodate or correct for specific postural needs.
The Vector O2 is recommended for:
- users with a history of, currently have, or are at risk for skin/soft tissue breakdown and/or any stage pressure injury
- users with normal or impaired sensation
- users with pelvic and trunk weakness and fatigue as the contouring as well as the shape of the SmartCells provide a stability and alignment
- users needing assistance with transfers as the stability of the cushion increase ease of pushing up from the cushion or using a sliding board
Features/benefits of the Vector O2 include:
- the cushion is adjustable to shape, weight, and changes in an individual’s position over time due to the SmartCells moving with every micro-movement of the user as discussed in the first blog of this series.
- the cushion has a perforated liner, making it inherently breathable and may help with temperature and moisture control
- the cushion is very lightweight, adding little weight to entire mobility system which could reduce repetitive strain injuries and increase independence with mobility
- And my favorite, especially in today’s health care world where infection control is so critical, is the fact that the ENTIRE cushion can be machine washed for easy cleaning and disinfection!
- Built ready to use, straight out of the box with no set up required.
The Vicar Vector O2 cushion is ideal for hospital and nursing home settings since the cushion can be machine washed in its entirety for full cleaning and disinfection. This allows an organization to use this cushion with multiple users.
Application and adjustability of the Vector O2
- Rear lateral chambers are wider and raised which purposefully load the greater trochanters, forcing the head of the femur into its acetabulum for increased pelvic stability.
- Lateral chambers act as lateral thigh supports, promoting lower extremity alignment by minimizing abduction of the thighs
- Medial thigh support minimizes lower extremity adduction, keeping knees apart for better alignment.
- Rear middle chamber is lower than the raised rear lateral compartments to create a deeper pelvic well to partially offload the high-risk areas of the ischial tuberosities, sacrum and coccyx. This minimizes pressure in the coccygeal/ischial zone
SmartCells can be added or subtracted from any of these compartments to correct or accommodate multiple postural asymmetries. Once set up by a therapist, there is no need for caregiver modifications to the cushion for further positioning needs, making staff training simple.
In the unlikely event, that one of the SmartCells goes flat, we recommend purchasing an extra bag of SmartCells to simply replace the flattened SmartCell. This is a cost savings, because there is never a need to replace or purchase a new Vicair cushion!
Another great feature of the Vector O2 cushion is that together the lateral thigh supports and the medial thigh support, create leg troughs, allowing redirection of pressure through the trochanters and down femurs for optimal pressure redistribution and alignment of the pelvis and lower extremities. Again, demonstrating why it is coded as an adjustable skin protection and positioning cushion!
The Vector O2 is skin protection at its best as it is considered a combination skin protection cushion. As mention, partial offloading of the ITs, sacrum and coccyx is created through the contours of this cushion. And through the air medium, any part of the body that is still making contact with the cushion, is also protected by the SmartCell Technology and will be immersed and enveloped by the interlocking SmartCells.
So in summary, if you are looking for a product that can address pressure injury management PLUS a positioning need, without the need for daily maintenance or rigorous staff training, the Vicair® Vector O2 air cushions may be a great option!
Ana Endsjo, MOTR/L, CLT
National Education Manager - Long Term Care Division
Ana Endsjo has worked as an occupational therapist since 2001 in a variety of treatment settings. She has mainly worked with the geriatric population, dedicated to the betterment of the treatment of the elderly in long term care centers. Her focus has been on seating and positioning and contracture management of the nursing home resident. With this experience, her hope is to guide other therapists, rehab directors, nurses, and administrators through educational guides, blogs, webinars, and live courses in her role as National Education Manager - Long Term